Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jacob von Rueysdale - A Cottage and a Hayrick by a River, Georg Philipp Telemann - Musique de Table, A.A.Milne - Vespers

This painting by Jacob von Rueysdale is very peaceful with  mostly greens and blues and the quiet water.  There are some interesting details to study and remember.  Notice the trees in the foreground, middle ground, and distant background - the size diminishes and the color becomes more blue as they recede, and there is less detail.  These are ways artists make things look distant.
A Cottage and a Hayrick by a River
A Cottage and a Hayrick by a River

I am very pleased to announce that we have been given permission to use pictures by Robert Bateman, a wonderful Canadian wildlife artist.  Following is a link to the Picasa Web Album with the paintings I plan to use for our summer term.  Picassa Web Album of Robert Bateman Paintings. Though they are copyrighted we have been given permission to copy them for educational use.  


 Lovely music today by Georg Philipp Telemann - "Musique de Table" Part 1

Here is a link to a playlist of music by Georg Philipp Telemann.  It's almost 4 hours long.  We've been enjoying it as background music. 


Our A.A.Milne poem this week is about Christopher Robin saying his prayers....


Vespers

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

God bless Mummy. I know that's right.
Wasn't it fun in the bath to-night?
The cold's so cold, and the hot's so hot.
Oh! God bless Daddy - I quite forgot.

If I open my fingers a little bit more,
I can see Nanny's dressing-gown on the door.
It's a beautiful blue, but it hasn't a hood.
Oh! God bless Nanny and make her good.

Mine has a hood, and I lie in bed,
And pull the hood right over my head,
And I shut my eyes, and I curl up small,
And nobody knows that I'm there at all.

Oh! Thank you, God, for a lovely day.
And what was the other I had to say?
I said "Bless Daddy," so what can it be?
Oh! Now I remember it. God bless Me.

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

2 comments:

  1. I love this painting by Rueysdale. It is very peaceful. I appreciate how you point out about how the trees are painted. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to comment - relationship is a "big deal" to me as a person, so it means a lot to hear responses to my blog, to dialogue a bit about the pieces, what you personally like or don't like. Again, thanks for taking the time.

      Delete