Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Joseph Farquharson - Sheep Grazing By the River - Ferdinando Carulli - Rondo Opus 241

Today's painting by Joseph Farquharson is still of sheep but is a summer scene with blues, greens and browns rather than the soft pastels of the sun on snow.  Note the sun and shadows and the reflections in the water even though it is obviously moving water.



Another beautiful piece of music by Ferdinando Carulli - Rondo Opus 241.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWI9EiLbFF4


I am reluctant to leave my favorite poet, but I hope you've gotten a taste for her wonderful poetry and will pursue it on your own.  Today, I'd like to begin a study of poetry by Eugene Field.  Today's poem is one of his I've often shared with my children as a lesson regarding the outcome of fighting.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.  


                 The Duel
The gingham dog and the calico cat
Side by side on the table sat;
'Twas half-past twelve, and (what do you think!)
Nor one nor the other had slept a wink!
     The old Dutch clock and the Chinese plate
     Appeared to know as sure as fate
There was going to be a terrible spat.
     (I wasn't there; I simply state
     What was told me by the Chinese plate!)
The gingham dog went "bow-wow-wow!"
And the calico cat replied "mee-ow!"
The air was littered, an hour or so,
With bits of gingham and calico,
     While the old Dutch clock in place
     Up with its hands before its face,
For it always dreaded a family row!
     (Now mind: I'm only telling you
     What the old Dutch clock declares is true!)
The Chinese plate looked very blue,
And wailed, "Oh, dear! what shall we do?"
But the gingham dog and the calico cat
Wallowed this way and tumbled that,
     Employing every tooth and claw
     In the awfullest way you ever saw--
And, oh! how the gingham and calico flew!
     (Don't fancy I exaggerate!
     I got my news from the Chinese plate!)
Next morning, where the two had sat,
They found no trace of dog or cat;
And some folks think unto this day
That burglars stole that pair away!
     But the truth about the cat and pup
     Is this: they ate each other up!
Now what do you really think of that!
     (The old Dutch clock it told me so,
     And that is how I came to know.)

For a biographical sketch of Eugene Field click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Field or here:
http://www.eugenefieldhouse.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=64

No comments:

Post a Comment