Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sorry this post is late - we were at family camp all week and I didn't have access to the internet.  We did have a wonderful time, but I hope it didn't inconvenience any of you to have this post come out so late....  
I like the bright colors in this painting by Pierre Auguste Renoir.  Notice the orange canoe against the blue water - these are complementary colors.  Complementary colors look brighter together and bring out the best in each other - they are across the color wheel from each other and are a primary color and the secondary color made by mixing the other two primaries - (primary colors are blue, red and yellow).  Orange is a mixture of red and yellow. Again note all the little dabs of color that make up the impression of the scene. 


A fun piece of music by Johannes Brahms today Johannes Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 1

And another wonderful poem by Emily Dickinson.  I've mentioned before her fascination with death and eternity - it comes into the end of this poem as if she sees herself "trapped" inside her body and death will free her.  


BRING me the sunset in a cup,
Reckon the morning’s flagons up,
  And say how many dew;
Tell me how far the morning leaps,
Tell me what time the weaver sleeps        5
  Who spun the breadths of blue!
  
Write me how many notes there be
In the new robin’s ecstasy
  Among astonished boughs;
How many trips the tortoise makes,        10
How many cups the bee partakes,—
  The debauchee of dews!
  
Also, who laid the rainbow’s piers,
Also, who leads the docile spheres
  By withes of supple blue?        15
Whose fingers string the stalactite,
Who counts the wampum of the night,
  To see that none is due?
  
Who built this little Alban house
And shut the windows down so close        20
  My spirit cannot see?
Who ’ll let me out some gala day,
With implements to fly away,
  Passing pomposity?

No comments:

Post a Comment