Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Jules Breton - The Wounded Seagull; Edvard Grieg - Solveig; Alfred Lord Tennyson - Break, Break, Break

Another Jules Breton painting today - The Wounded Seagull


 

I love the water in this painting - wonderful colors and detail and depth, but what you notice most is the girl with the gull. Lots of wonderful details here for picture study.


(Oops - I have one more piece of music by Edvard Grieg .  It is from Peer Gynt and is called Solveig.  You can listen to it as an instrumental piece here
 or sung in Norwegian by Sarah Brightman Solveig - Sarah Brightman


An interesting though fairly lengthy biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson can be read here

Break, Break, Break

By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Break, break, break,
         On thy cold gray stones, O Sea!
And I would that my tongue could utter
         The thoughts that arise in me.

O, well for the fisherman's boy,
         That he shouts with his sister at play!
O, well for the sailor lad,
         That he sings in his boat on the bay!

And the stately ships go on
         To their haven under the hill;
But O for the touch of a vanish'd hand,
         And the sound of a voice that is still!

Break, break, break
         At the foot of thy crags, O Sea!
But the tender grace of a day that is dead
         Will never come back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment