Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thomas Cole - The Course of Empire: Consumation, Hexachordum Apollinis - Pachelbel, Resurrection by John Donne, and Evening by Thomas Miller

This week we look at the third painting in Thomas Cole's series:  The Course of Empire - Consumation of Empire.  View below or click this link to view a copy with zoom capability:  http://www.explorethomascole.org/tour/items/67
The Course of Empire:  Consumation of Empire
The following link has interesting information on this series of paintings:  http://www.explorethomascole.org/tour/items/69/series/


I'd like to share another lovely piece of music by Johann Pachelbel this week titled "Hexachordum Apollinis".  It is played on the clavichord:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzRQ1RxF_fc 
and if you enjoyed that you can listen to the next section here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhKGAf35rLk&NR=1

John Donne

Resurrection
Moist with one drop of thy blood, my dry soul
Shall (though she now be in extreme degree
Too stony hard, and yet too fleshly,) be
Freed by that drop, from being starved, hard,  or foul,
And life, by this death abled, shall control
Death, whom thy death slew; nor shall to me
Fear of first or last death, bring misery
If in thy little book my name thou enrol,
Flesh in that long sleep is not putrified,
But made that there, of which, and for which 'twas;
Nor can by other means be glorified.
May then sins sleep, and deaths soon from me pass,
That waked from both, I again risen may
Salute the last, and everlasting day.


and a poem I enjoyed with my youngest son, John this morning...
  "Evening" by Thomas Miller

                                                                Evening

The day is past, the sun is set,
And the white stars are in the sky;
While the long grass with dew is wet,
And through the air the bats now fly.
The lambs have now lain down to sleep,
The birds have long since sought their nests;
The air is still; and dark, and deep
On the hill side the old wood rests.
Yet of the dark I have no fear,
But feel as safe as when 'tis light;
For I know God is with me there,
And He will guard me through the night.
For God is by me when I pray,
And when I close mine eyes to sleep,
I know that He will with me stay,
And will all night watch by me keep.
For He who rules the stars and sea,
Who makes the grass and trees to grow.
Will look on a poor child like me,
When on my knees I to Him bow.
He holds all things in His right hand,
The rich, the poor, the great, the small;
When we sleep, or sit, or stand,
He is with us, for He loves us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment