Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Garden of Eden, And the Glory of the Lord, Who Has Seen the Wind?

Thomas Cole

I'd like to introduce you to one of my favorite painters, Thomas Cole. He was the first famous American landscape artist.  He was a Christian and a conservationist.  He lived in the Catskill mountains and painted their rugged, untouched beauty.  He was very saddened as civilization encroached on the wilderness.  He is known as the founder of the Hudson River School of painters.   Today's painting is his rendition of the Garden of Eden.  It was a huge painting. (I can't find the exact dimensions this morning but I believe it was over 5').  It took over a year to paint all the rich details it includes. 

The Garden of Eden - Thomas Cole
I'd like to recommend a picture book to go along with this painting, Thomas Cole's Paintings of Eden by Franklin Kelly.  This book focuses on this painting with close-up views of different parts of the painting and text describing and explaining it.  Our local library has this book - yours may, too if you are interested, check it out.  


The following is a website that promotes Thomas Cole and his work:
http://www.thomascole.org/biography-of-thomas-cole/
It includes a virtual tour with many of his works: 
http://www.explorethomascole.org/gallery

 
Again this week from George Frideric Hadel's oratorio, "The Messiah", today's piece is called "And the Glory of the Lord" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yIgN54R7k  


Most of this oratorio comes right out of the Bible.  You might enjoy looking up more about the oratorio, The Messiah:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_%28Handel%29

You can listen to parts of this oratorio one at a time on the following link:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Messiah

Christina Georgina Rossetti  

Who Has Seen the Wind?


Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

You also may enjoy this similar poem by Rowena Bennet:

God is Like This

I cannot see the wind at all
  Or hold it in my hand;
And yet I know there is a wind
  Because it swirls the sand.
I know there is a wondrous wind,
  Because I glimpse its power
Whenever it bends low a tree
  Or sways the smallest flower.

And God is very much like this,
  Invisible as air;
I cannot touch or see Him, yet
  I know that He is there
Because I glimpse His wondrous works
  And goodness everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment