Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Raphael - Crucified Christ, Vivaldi - Concerto for Oboe No. 1 in B flat, Rainer Maria Rilke - Girl's Lament, Robert Louis Stevenson - At the Seaside

Are you enjoying Raphael's paintings?  I find them interesting, though not perhaps something I want to frame and hang, yet they are thought provoking.  This week we'll study two paintings of the crucified Christ.  Notice the emotional responses of the various people.  Compare the two paintings.  Which do you prefer and why?





Our music this week from Antonio Lucio Vivaldi is Concerto for Oboe No. 1 in B flat
  A picture of an oboeoboe the oboe is a double reed musical instrument of the woodwind ...

Our poem this week by Rainer Maria Rilke is "Girl's Lament"

In the years when we were
all children, this inclining
to be alone so much was gentle;
others' time passed fighting,
and one had one's faction,
one's near, one's far-off place,
a path, an animal, a picture.

And I still imagined, that life
would always keep providing
for one to dwell on things within,
Am I within myself not in what's greatest?
Shall what's mine no longer soothe
and understand me as a child?

Suddenly I'm as if cast out,
and this solitude surrounds me
as something vast and unbounded,
when my feeling, standing on the hills
of my breasts, cries out for wings
or for an end.

 And by Robert Louis Stevenson

            At the Seaside

 When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
      To dig the sandy shore.

My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up,
      Till it could come no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment