Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Jacob von Rueysdale - Sailboats, Georg Philipp Telemann - Water Music in C; A A Milne - Come Out with Me

You can almost feel the wind in this wonderful painting by Jacob von Rueysdale.  All the lovely pastel colors in those wonderful cumulus clouds make me want to try painting it! 



Georg Philipp Telemann's wassermusik (Water Music) in C is as dramatic as the above painting.  Full of tension and exuberance.

Today's poem by Alan Alexander Milne tugs at my heart and reminds me to take the time to just explore outside with my children while I have them with me.  

Come Out with Me

There's sun on the river and sun on the hill . . .
You can hear the sea if you stand quite still!
There's eight new puppies at Roundabout Farm-
And I saw an old sailor with only one arm!

But everyone says, "Run along!"
(Run along, run along!)
All of them say, "Run along! I'm busy as can be."
Every one says, "Run along,
There's a little darling!"
If I'm a little darling, why don't they run with me?

There's wind on the river and wind on the hill . . .
There's a dark dead water-wheel under the mill!
I saw a fly which had just been drowned-
And I know where a rabbit goes into the ground!

But everyone says, "Run along!"
(Run along, run along!)
All of them say, "Yes, dear," and never notice me.
Every one says, "Run along,
There's a little darling!"
If I'm a little darling, why won't they come and see?



3 comments:

  1. What a fun exercise to consider every term: pair one poem with one musical composition with one painting. Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally tried staggering the changes so we could take a bit more time to do biographical work on each new artist, poet and composer, but it seems a bit easier for me to switch them out all at once seasonally - this was recommended by a follower and has been working well for me. We can still stagger the biographical information. With a new painting, poem and piece of music every week - we don't get as familiar with each piece as I'd like, (sometimes it seems to move too fast for me especially if I have a busy week and the kids don't get to savor it that week, but you could just choose certain ones during the term and stay with them two or more weeks if you prefer. Even if we miss a week or two or just lightly skip over some with 12-14 weeks worth of works there's plenty there to give a good feel for each person's work. If you don't like a particular artist, poet or composer - there are lots of wonderful works in the archives to consider. Thanks for taking time to stop by and also to comment. Hope you can find some things that work for you.... Blessings! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you haven't posted since 2018, but I want to thank you for keeping this site accessible to those of us who enjoy it. I incorporate it into my homeschooling day. Hope you and your beautiful family are well!

    ReplyDelete