Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rosa Bonheur - Wild Boars in the Snow

It is amazing to me that Rosa Bonheur has managed to take an unattractive subject like these wild boars in a dead winter forest and make a lovely painting.  I love how the light shines through on the snow in the right mid-ground and the forest is lovely even in it's drear winter state. 

File:Rosa Bonheur - Sangliers dans la neige.jpg
Wild Boars in the Snow

The following is a link to the Picasa Web Album for our next artist - Jacob von Rueysdale Paintings


Today's piece of music by Arcangelo Corelli is in a minor key and just a bit sad, yet beautiful --  La Folia in D Minor.


There are so many more wonderful poems by John Oxenham!  It's hard to choose which to feature.  Here is a link to a listing of more of his wonderful work.

              The Potter

A Potter, playing with his lump of clay,
Fashioned an image of supremest worth.
  "_Never was nobler image made on earth,
  Than this that I have fashioned of my clay.
  And I, of mine own skill, did fashion it,--
  I--from this lump of clay_."

The Master, looking out on Pots and Men,
Heard his vain boasting, smiled at that he said.
  "_The clay is Mine, and I the Potter made,
  As I made all things,--stars, and clay, and men.
  In what doth this man overpass the rest?
  --Be thou as other men_!"

He touched the Image,--and it fell to dust,
He touched the Potter,--he to dust did fall.
  Gently the Master,--"_I did make them all,--
  All things and men, heaven's glories, and the dust.
  Who with Me works shall quicken death itself,
  Without Me--dust is dust_."






No comments:

Post a Comment