Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Hans Heysen, Engelbert Humperdinck - overture for Konigkinder, John Donne - A Hymn to God Our Father

Another beautiful landscape by our artist Hans Heysen this week, a lovely watercolor painting.  Notice how he left flecks of white paper near the sailboats as the sparkle on the waves.  If you've worked at all with watercolors this would be a fun painting to try to copy.



This weeks music by Engelbert Humperdinck is the overture for Konigkinder (German for the King's Children).  Here's a link for Wikipedia's article on Konigskinder.

John Donne had a keen sense of his own sinfulness and tendency to return to sin.  But he also counted on the mercy of God. This poem is typical of his work in that way.

       A Hymn to God the Father

Wilt thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt thou forgive that sin, through which I run,
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
For I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sin their door?
Wilt thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallow'd in, a score?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by thyself, that at my death thy Son
Shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore;
And, having done that, thou hast done;
I fear no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment