Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, February 12, 2015

John Constable - Maria Bicknell or Mrs. John Constable, Felix Mendelssohn - Elijah Oratorio, Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Comfort


I think John Constable's wife was very pretty - I like this painting of her.

Maria Bicknell or Mrs. John Constable

I'd like to take another week on the Elijah Oratorio by Felix Mendelssohn.

I was listening to part of the Elijah Oratorio with my children and couldn't pick out all the words, so I found this site with the words.  Elijah Oratorio Score.
You can follow and turn pages on the bottom right.



Our poem this week by Elizabeth Barrett Browning is called Comfort.  Beautiful!

                           Comfort

SPEAK low to me, my Saviour, low and sweet
From out the hallelujahs, sweet and low
Lest I should fear and fall, and miss Thee so
Who art not missed by any that entreat.
Speak to mo as to Mary at thy feet !
And if no precious gums my hands bestow,
Let my tears drop like amber while I go
In reach of thy divinest voice complete
In humanest affection -- thus, in sooth,
To lose the sense of losing. As a child,
Whose song-bird seeks the wood for evermore
Is sung to in its stead by mother's mouth
Till, sinking on her breast, love-reconciled,
He sleeps the faster that he wept before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment