Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jules Breton - The Song of the Lark, Robert Schumann - Carnaval, Alfred Lord Tennyson: Summer Night

I first saw this painting by Jules Breton in an art appreciation book from Christian Liberty Press called Masterpieces in Art the pictures are in this book are black and white but the wonder in the girl's expression and her listening posture came through powerfully.  This was my first exposure to Jules Breton.


The Song of the Lark by Jules Breton

 Notice this peasant girl's bare feet and simple dress.  She has a cutting tool in her hand and is on her way to the fields early in the morning when she stops to listen to the Lark.


Since I recommended the Music Master's CD that includes music and biography about both Grieg and Schumann we'll look at Robert Schumann next.  Here are two biographical sketches:
Wikipedia - Robert Schumann or Classical Net - Robert Schumann
 The first work I would like to feature is Carnaval
Carnaval Part 1
Carnaval Part 2
Carnaval Part 3 
Carnaval Part 4 

One final poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson today.
                                         SUMMER NIGHT
                      by: Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)
      OW sleeps the crimson petal, now the white;
      Nor waves the cypress in the palace walk;
      Nor winks the gold fin in the porphyry font:
      The firefly wakens: waken thou with me.
       
      Now droops the milk-white peacock like a ghost,
      And like a ghost she glimmers on to me.
       
      Now lies the Earth all Danaë to the stars,
      And all thy heart lies open unto me.
       
      Now slides the silent meteor on, and leaves
      A shining furrow, as thy thoughts in me.
       
      Now folds the lily all her sweetness up,
      And slips into the bosom of the lake:
      So fold thyself, my dearest, thou, and slip
      Into my bosom and be lost in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment