Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rembrandt Van Rijn - A Girl at a Window; Edvard Gridg - Violin Sonota No.2 Op.13 2nd Movement; Alfred Lord Tnnyson - Crossing the Bar



I really liked this gentle painting by Rembrandt van Rijn, of a young girl looking out at the window sill. We will use it as our final work of his, at least for now, though we could go on for a long time.  It has a wonderfully relaxed feel to it and a realistic layout.  Notice her serene but contemplative expression.  She is pretty, but it's not that you notice - rather her innocent thoughtfulness and serenity come through.  I don't know if you've noticed but the colors in this painting are ones that Rembrandt so often used - reds, golds, and dark black and brown.  

Another lovely piece of music by Edvard GriegEdvard Grieg - Violin Sonota No.2 Op.13 2nd Movement

This poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson beautifully describes the death of a Christian in maritime terms.


             Crossing the Bar


Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound or foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell;
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
i hope to see my pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment