Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, March 15, 2012

John James Audubon -striped ground squirrels , Franz Joseph Haydn-Piano Trio , Eugene Field-At the Door

We often think of John James Audubon as a painter of birds and he has many wonderful paintings of birds and is perhaps best know for his book, Birds of America, but he also painted other wildlife and I would like to share a few of these works over the next couple weeks.  Today's painting is of ground squirrels (chipmunks). Notice the blueberries the ground squirrels are eating. The following link shows a couple of other paintings of ground squirrels also done by Audubon.  http://blogs.princeton.edu/graphicarts/2011/02/
http://blogs.princeton.edu/graphicarts/images/audubon%20squirrel4.jpg

Franz Joseph Haydn wrote this piano trio to be played by a piano, a violin and a cello.  I hope you enjoy it.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsVG2X_YL4


This is the last poem by Eugene Field I am planning to feature for now.  It has some interesting ideas for discussion in it.  

At the Door
by Eugene Field (1850-1895)
I thought myself, indeed, secure,
   So fast the door, so firm the lock;
But, lo! he toddling comes to lure
   My parent ear with timorous knock.
My heart were stone could it withstand
   The sweetness of my baby's plea,
That timorous, baby knocking and
   "Please let me in,---it's only me."
I threw aside the unfinished book,
   Regardless of its tempting charms,
And, opening wide the door, I took
   My laughing darling in my arms.
Who knows but in Eternity,
   I, like a truant child, shall wait
The glories of a life to be,
   Beyond the Heavenly Father's gate?
And will that Heavenly Father heed
   The truant's supplicating cry,
As at the outer door I plead,
   "'T is I, O Father! only I"?


No comments:

Post a Comment