|Painting by Thomas Cole|
I also recommend that you tour the virtual gallery of his artwork at the following link: http://www.explorethomascole.org/gallery
The following link is for a film with a bit of history about Thomas Cole's life and the Hudson River School of art. http://cedargrove.squarespace.com/thomas-cole-film
George Frideric Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks in two part is this week's music.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjY6w1KQMo&feature=related
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlkAGGieBA&feature=related
The following is a link describing and explaining Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_the_Royal_Fireworks
CONSIDER THE LILIES OF THE FIELD
by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)
LOWERS preach to us if we will hear:--
- The rose saith in the dewy morn:
- I am most fair;
- Yet all my loveliness is born
- Upon a thorn.
- The poppy saith amid the corn:
- Let but my scarlet head appear
- And I am held in scorn;
- Yet juice of subtle virtue lies
- Within my cup of curious dyes.
- The lilies say: Behold how we
- Preach without words of purity.
- The violets whisper from the shade
- Which their own leaves have made:
- Men scent our fragrance on the air,
- Yet take no heed
- Of humble lessons we would read.
- But not alone the fairest flowers:
- The merest grass
- Along the roadside where we pass,
- Lichen and moss and sturdy weed,
- Tell of His love who sends the dew,
- The rain and sunshine too,
- To nourish one small seed.