Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carnival of the Animals, The Children's Hour, and The Gleaners

Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns (9 October 1835 – 16 December 1921) was a French composer.  His "Carnival of the Animals" is a humorous work depicting different animals.  Your children will have fun listening for the different animals.  The links given have nice pieces of artwork displayed during the different parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjaBGAfWGSU  and part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL-bBj4_8ME&feature=related


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




The Children's Hour

Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupation,
That is know as the children's hour.

I hear in the chamber above me
The patter of little feet,
The sound of a door that is opened,
And voices soft and sweet.

From my study I see in the lamplight,
Descending the broad hall stair,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra,
And Edith with golden hair.

A whisper and then a silence:
Yet I know by their merry eyes,
They are plotting and planning together,
To take me by surprise.

A sudden rush from the stairway,
A sudden raid from the hall!
By three doors left unguarded
They enter my castle wall!

They climb up into my turret
O'er the arms and back of my chair;
If I try to escape, they surround me,
They seem to be everywhere.

They almost devour me with kisses,
Their arms about me entwine,
Till I think of the Bishop of Bingen
In his Mouse-Tower on the Rhine!

Do you think, O blue-eyed banditti,
Because you have scaled the wall,
Such an old mustache as I am
Is not a match for you all?

I have you fast in my fortress
And will not let you depart,
But put you down in the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow






The following are links to articles about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
http://www.hwlongfellow.org/
http://www.hwlongfellow.org/life_overview.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wadsworth_Longfellow 





Jean-Francois Millet




"The Gleaners" by Jean-Francois Millet


Jean-Francois Millet was a French painter who painted in a naturalistic and realistic style.  He often painted the local peasant farmers.  This picture shows three women gleaning which is gathering up the remains after the harvest has been completed.  This was one way the poor people found food for their families.  There are many wonderful details to study in this picture.  Study the picture with your children until you feel satisfied that you are familiar with the whole picture.  Now put the picture out of sight and take turns describing the scene from memory.  When no one can think of any more details look again at the picture. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas. I'm planning on incorporating your plans in our weekly schedule. I was wondering if you'd be willing to add the search bar to your blog. I'd love to search your ideas on the weeks we have other artists planned. Thank you again so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful idea!! I've added the search bar.

      Delete